Simple Tips for Fixing Leaks in Your Home
As per the City of Calgary, leaks can contribute to more than 10% of the average water usage in a home, resulting in both financial waste and potential disasters. Detecting leaks early on is crucial to saving money and preventing costly insurance claims. To help maintain a leak-free home, here are some valuable tips to consider.
- Check Your Water Meter: To determine if you have a leak in your plumbing system, start by turning off all the water in your home. Shut off faucets and appliances like the dishwasher and washing machine. Monitor the water meter and see if it changes. A meter that moves indicates a fast-moving leak, while a delayed change suggests a slower leak. Remember that any piping after the meter is the homeowner’s responsibility.
- Inspect Cabinet Interiors: Regularly inspect the inside of cabinets and under sinks for signs of mold and foul smells, which might indicate a leak. Examine all connections to faucets and check for oxidation.
- Don’t Neglect the Exterior: Leaks can also occur outside your home. Inspect hose bib connections and ensure the seals are tight and functioning correctly. If you have an irrigation system, consider having it professionally checked during Spring start-up to ensure it’s leak-free and undamaged from winter. Check sprinkler heads and drip lines for any breaks or accidental damage caused by lawn mowing.
- Identify Leaking Toilets Using Food Coloring: Leaky toilets are well-known for wasting water. To check for leaks in your toilet, follow these simple steps:
- Take off the tank lid.
- Add a few drops of food coloring into the toilet tank.
- Allow approximately 20 minutes for the color to spread.
- Inspect the toilet bowl. If the water changes color, it signals a leak.
By conducting this straightforward test, you can potentially save up to $100 by promptly repairing any detected leaks. The effort is undoubtedly worthwhile for conserving water and reducing unnecessary expenses.
5. Take Immediate Action and Seek Professional Assistance: Should you suspect any leaks within your plumbing system, do not delay in contacting a professional for repair services. Timely addressing of leaks can prevent them from escalating and potentially leading to substantial damage.
In conclusion, regular leak detection and timely repairs can save you money and protect your home from potential disasters. Implement these simple tips to maintain a leak-free environment in your home.